Friday, May 18, 2007

Frustrations Mount

Today we had our second outing for the medical outreach program. We went to the Abura Literacy School again. Last week just two volunteers went (me and Brad) but with all of the new arrivals in the last while we had five volunteers there today. Kate and I took care of the kids with ringworm while the others dressed minor wounds. To welcome the volunteers the whole school (about 50 children) got together and sang several songs for us.

I can quite easily say that the most amazing thing about this place is the children. They are all so curious and so sweet. They have the most beautiful smiles and they give them so freely. It’s amazing to walk down a road and have a child from the other side of a busy street call out “hey obruni!” with a wave and a huge grin. You really can’t help but grin and wave back – which makes them really excited and they shriek and wave even more energetically as if some rare animal has just performed an extraordinary feat just for them.

Yesterday I asked Grant (the Cape Coast director of this organization) to speak with Nancy about having me start work there. I had thought that I would work at the hospital in the mornings and the orphanage in the afternoon or maybe, to really fill my days, get to the orphanage in the early morning to help the kids get ready for school, head to the hospital for a few hours and then return to the orphanage when the kids get home. It looks like none of that will happen now, thanks to Nancy. Grant told me today that Nancy doesn’t want me to work there. She provided the bullshit (excuse me) reason that she only wants volunteers who have come straight from home, not volunteers who have been in Ghana for a while already. Unbelievable. Just utterly unbelievable.

It doesn’t help that she and Grant are somewhat friends and that Grant was reluctant to push her on this. Apparently, I’m not even allowed to go in the afternoons to help out Laura (the new and only volunteer there right now). I was frustrated yesterday when I couldn’t think of a more significant way to help the children, and now I’m not even allowed to see them.

I cheered up after talking to Hugh and receiving a very welcome phone call from my Mom (sorry you two, I should stop having these phone conversations with you when I’m feeling really low). I then spent the rest of the afternoon wandering around town. The long walk calmed me down and I felt a certain sense of accomplishment in suddenly being able to find my way around a place that, not too long ago, was entirely foreign and overwhelming. Also, there’s nothing like being greeted by happy, grinning children to raise your spirits.

Next week I hope to start in Obstetrics.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Hi Mags,
Clearly, your heart is with the children.......I can hear it in your voice when we talk and it's evident from your blog entries. Perhaps the other orphanage will welcome and appreciate your input more.
I hope you enjoy obstetrics! There is no greater privilege than to be present as one enters or exits this crazy world of ours. Try to see past the "practicalities" of the delivery room and enjoy the wonders of the birthing experience. I learned to truly respect females after doing my ob rotation! We're amazing.
Stay strong. You are missed and deeply loved. Love, M

Kathy said...

Hi Maggie,

I work with your Dad and he shared your wonderful blog site with me. Thank you for the privilege of reading it. You have a way of writing that allows the reader to feel what you are experiencing. Thank you for doing this very important work.

Cheers,
Kathy Johnson

Tom Williams said...

Maggie,

I understand your frustration with Nancy. It's unfortunate that poverty and greed get the better of some people and that they cynically profit off of other people's generosity.

Focus your energies on other people in the community that are more trustworthy and don't let a bad apple sour the meal.

And look out for Mourinho. He's apparently in Ghana next week.