Friday, May 11, 2007

End of my first week!

Today we began a public health outreach program to the schools. We went to one school in a poor community and dressed minor (though infected) wounds, and treated many of the kids for ringworm. It was interesting and, though the work was very simple, it was nice to get some hands-on experience. Before I left the hospital this morning I introduced myself to the Egyptian Radiologist, Dr. Ahmed Sahid. He seems great and is keen to talk to students so that’s where I will be next week.

Yesterday two kids died at the hospital – one child who really hadn’t seemed that sick on rounds and another little baby who was very ill. It’s sad to see children dying of such unnecessary causes. The baby must have died sometime in the night; by the time they realized that she had passed she was already cold.

Yesterday evening I went with Stefanie and Maira to the orphanage again so that Stefanie could say good-bye to the children. Maira has had them rehearsing “Lean on Me” and they all sang that to Stefanie yesterday, along with some other songs, to say good-bye. The kids are amazing. Stefanie and Maira were both crying and even I (who, admittedly, can be a bit of a suck – but I’ve only been here one week) was choking back the tears. Stefanie has done so much for them and is determined to do all she can from home as well. She left early this morning with Maira – the two of them will spend a night in a hotel in Accra before Stefanie flies home Saturday night.

Tonight we got an impressive storm – tons of rain and the sky flashed bright pink with lightning. It was quite cool and I’m hoping that this does something to improve the power outages and lack of running water.

No comments: